We all know Berlin boasts something of a vibrant musical culture, and with so much going on it can sometimes be difficult to know where to start. So we’ve compiled a list of the best open mic nights on offer so you’ll always know where to go to watch up and coming talent. And if you fancy taking to the stage yourself, there’s somewhere new to perform every night if need be!
Start your week off the right way by heading down to one of these events:
- arcanoa, Am Tempelhofer Berg 8, 10965 Berlin (Kreuzberg) – known colloquially as ‘die Bar mit dem Fluss im Tresen’, this is one of the prettiest bars you’ll find in the city. There’s a unique warmth to this place, so make sure you play here at least once!
- Café Sandmann, Reuterstraße 7, 12053 Berlin (Neukölln) – tucked away on a quiet Neukölln corner, Café Sandmann boasts a welcoming team of avid music lovers and a great audience. It’s easy to see why it’s been a Berlin institution for nearly 40 years! Every Monday they host their “Blue Monday” event, an acoustic Blues-Session!
- Engels Café, Herrfurthstr. 21 (Neukölln) – If you are a jazz musician you can get on stage at the cafés “Blue Moonday” sessions and enjoy great drinks and snacks in a cozy atmosphere!
- Barkett, Czeminskistraße 10, 10829 Berlin (Schöneberg) – this venue’s pretty small, but it has a great atmosphere and the stage is still a decent size (it’s covered in moss for some reason, so it’s definitely an experience to remember). The bar also serves over 100 different drinks in high quality! If you want to play here, it’s best to message the bar on Facebook or Instagram.
- Lagari, Pflügerstraße 19, 12047 Berlin (Neukölln) – this cosy Neukölln gem has something of a familial vibe to it; everyone seems to know each other here. Plus, the staff are really friendly and you can treat yourself to American-style pancakes after your set.
- Donau115, Donaustrasse 115 (Neukölln) – this micro jazz bar formerly known as L&G Security runs a variety of different live music events such as “Two-Song Tuesday” where you can present your new set that may include two songs or last ten minutes.
Beat the midweek blues at one of these south-eastern open stages:
- Laksmi Bar, Wrangelstraße 93, 10997 Berlin (Kreuzberg) – always featuring performers of an eclectic mix of genres and ages, it’s obvious why Laksmi’s renowned open mic nights are so popular. The owner is potentially the nicest person you’ll meet in Berlin, but be sure to get there early (no later than 8.30pm) if you want to play before 1am, as slots tend to fill up very quickly!
- Prachtwerk, Ganghoferstraße 2, 12043 Berlin (Neukölln) – don’t be intimidated by the imposing architecture; Prachtwerk’s open mic nights are a fairly laid-back affair. The events here are better suited to solo or small groups, and the acoustics are brilliant (as is the wine selection). This event features musicians from all different genres but every now and then there might be a focus on a certain genre such as hip hop. It’s best to check Prachtwerk’s Instagram to find out more about each Open Mic Night!
Thursday evening events are slightly more niche, but we’re sure you’ll find something to suit your taste:
- Bar Bobu, Müggelstraße 9, 10247 Berlin (Friedrichshain) – this Friedrichshain haunt hosts Stage Time: a weekly open mic night dedicated to singer-songwriters and acoustic acts. As with Laksmi, sets here are very much in demand, so show up as early as possible.
- Artenschutztheater (Tiergarten/Moabit) – share your music in this small theatre with a lot of character right inbetween Berlin’s district Tiergarten and Moabit. Their event “Go In” is an open stage with not only musicians but also dancers, comedians and actors performing.
Celebrate the start of your few days of freedom and pay a visit to this Berlin staple:
- Theater im Kino (Friedrichshain/Kreuzberg) – Every first Friday of the month you can showcase your skills at their Open Stage event and play a maximum of 3 songs or 15 minutes!
If you still have any energy left by Saturday night, you should definitely take the time to explore this cosy bar offering slots to eager performers:
- La Minga (Prenzlauer Berg) – Every Saturday at La Minga you can join the acoustic jam sessions and demonstrate your talent.
Mourn the end of the weekend and give it the send off it deserves by spending your evening at this popular open mic night:
- Kindl Stuben, Sonnenallee 92, 12045 Berlin (Neukölln) – bring your weekend to a close with a cosy evening at the intimate Kindl Stuben. It’s a great location with friendly bar staff, and you’re pretty much guaranteed a great line-up.
If you want to see all the Open Mic Nights and Jam Sessions taking place in Berlin, you can also have a look at this website that shows every open mic event. Just select a day and the website will tell you about each event happening that day!
Want to hone your performance skills and try these open mic nights for yourself? Take a look at BIMM Berlin’s courses on offer here.