Applying to BIMM

Masters Degrees – FAQs

29th May 2019

Tags: , , , , ,

Have you heard about our Postgraduate courses at BIMM Institute Brighton, Bristol, London, Manchester, Dublin and Berlin? Subjects available are MA Learning & Teaching In Creative Industries (MA LTCI) and MA Popular Music Practice (MA PMP).


What are the entry requirements? 

A good degree (normally 2.2 or above) or significant experience in a relevant field. However, exceptions do apply. Please contact [email protected] for more information.

Can I apply as an International Student?

Yes, international students that require a Student Visa can consider the full-time study options only. However, we encourage you to contact the Admissions Team to discuss the course in further detail.

Overseas students where English is not their native language may be required to meet a minimum English language requirement. You can view accepted qualifications and scores, here.

Can I apply as a Mature Student or if I didn’t study my degree at BIMM Institute?


Do I need to provide an academic reference? What if I’ve studied a long time ago and cannot provide one?

We ask for two referees, one of which should be able to comment on your academic ability to succeed on the course. Please contact the Admissions Team if you are not able to provide this.

Do I need to submit a personal statement as part of my application?

Yes, details are provided on the application form.

What’s the deadline to apply?

Applications must be received by the 30th August 2021 for courses starting in September 2021. You will need to apply direct to BIMM. Please register your interest with the Admissions Team and they will send you a link to the application form.

How long does it take to hear back about my application?

Our Admissions Team check enquiries daily and would normally be able to respond to your application within 48hrs of receipt. The team will then be in touch regarding the next steps, such as booking your interview.

How long does it take to hear back after my interview?

You may hear on the day, but in some cases the course team will consider your application for longer. We aim to respond within seven days at the latest.

Can I defer my place on the course?

Yes, we will hold your place on the course for one year. Beyond that, you are welcome to reapply for a place.

What is the timetable like – how many hours of contact time will I have each week?

This will depend considerably on whether you take the one-year full-time, or two-year part-time version – in the former you take two modules each semester, and the latter just one module.

Please note: Our Brighton, Manchester and Dublin colleges offer a full-time MA PMP course of study only.

Modules on the MA differ in how they are delivered. Typically, you may either have weekly evening sessions (usually 6pm until 9pm) for the 12-week semester, or you may have weekend workshops (one to two days, from 10am until 5pm) with some shorter weekly/fortnightly meetings. In all cases, there will be preparation and/or reading before each session.

Can I get a loan to cover tuition fees?

Subject to eligibility criteria applicants will be able to apply for a Post Graduate Loan for tuition fees. Further details are available here.

Can I pay the fees in instalments?

BIMM Institute do not offer any payment plans as the fees will be covered by a Post Graduate loan for eligible applicants.

If you intend to pay your fees privately please be aware that payment for the course must be received before you can enrol.

What facilities and services will I have access to?

  • Postgraduate study space
  • Access to online library and journal database
  • Free research software – NVIVO
  • Tutorials and supervision with expert practitioners in the field of education
  • Teaching placements at BIMM Institute, with the support of an experienced mentor


I have not met the entry requirements; can I still apply?

Yes. We may accept some applicants without the entry requirements if they have a substantial amount of professional (i.e. teaching) experience. You will need to complete the online application form and specify your experience in detail. You may be asked to submit an additional portfolio evidencing your practical experience, this is referred to as Recognition of Prior Certified and Experiential Learning (RPCEL).

What counts as ‘enough’ professional experience?

This is a case-by-case decision made by the course team prior to interview. Typically, you would have several years of teaching experience, which could come from a variety of contexts such as classroom or one-to-one tuition.

Do I need classroom experience before I apply?

No. The introductory module on the MA is designed to accommodate those with no teaching experience. However, we recommend gaining some experience in the area you wish to teach before applying. This is the best way to decide for yourself if you are committed to the course you would take on.

What are the paths I can take during and beyond the course? 

Our MA is geared for post-compulsory education in the creative industries/subjects – so that means FE/HE, private or alternative education, or corporate training/development. Our alumni typically go on to work in colleges as music tutors, in student support departments, become instrumental teachers, teach abroad in music institutions, work in HE institutions in teaching, administration or (usually later) leadership, and some alumni have set up their own companies / institutions offering creative education.

During the MA itself, there is the space to explore what kind of professional work you are interested in, and to get practice and feedback in developing in those areas. For instance, there are optional modules concerning module/curriculum development, educational philosophy, or mentoring/leadership, in addition to teaching and research in education.

Will the course grant me a QTS qualification?

Not quite. QTS is the qualified status for school teachers, and is granted as part of a PGCE. Since the MA is focused on post-compulsory education, the relevant professional route is QTLS through the Society for Education & Training (SET). The SET do not directly accredit courses for QTLS, but is instead offered as a follow-on after the qualification. So, upon graduation of our MA you could then gain QTLS, which would enable you to teach in late-secondary schooling, or be more competitively qualified for FE teaching.

Are school placement paid positions during the course?

No. Typically placements are unpaid on such courses. The PGCert/MA has part-time routes allowing you to work alongside studying. Furthermore, you might find paid work either in private instrumental teaching, or assisting/teaching at an institution, which can count towards your placement hours on the course.

How many hours of teaching experience does the course include?

If you opt to select the teaching practicum (part of the final ‘action research’ module), then you will be supported in gaining at least 100 hours of logged educational practice while on placement in a BIMM Institute College.

In addition, the course includes a wealth of opportunities to link new ideas and techniques to your personal teaching practice.

Find out more about the benefits of studying an MA

If you’d like to know more about our Masters courses, click the relevant course link below.

MA LEARNING & TEACHING IN CREATIVE INDUSTRIESAvailable at Brighton, Bristol and Berlin.

MA POPULAR MUSIC PRACTICE – Available at Brighton, Bristol, London, Manchester, Dublin and Berlin.

Alternatively, click here to apply


James Watts

Social Media Assistant, Professional Bassist and Music Journalist. Career highlights include performing at some of the UK's premier music festivals, recording in Abbey Road and interviewing Debbie Harry.