We’re very fortunate to have an incredible mix of talented industry professionals lecturing at BIMM Berlin. Today we’re profiling our remarkable Creative Musicianship and Bass Tutor Martin Stumpf and taking a look at what he’s been getting up to.
Martin began his career in the same way as his students – studying bass. Since graduating, he’s worked with an impressive roster of artists including, but not limited to… (drumroll) Söhne Mannheims, Laith Al-Deen, Flo Mega, Max Mutzke, Andrew Roachford, Diane Birch, Emma Lanford, Andreas Bourani, Blue, Kate Ryan, Rolf Stahlhofen, Femme Schmidt, Take Berlin and Yvonne Catterfeld.
If you’re into afro-raw-funk-jazz, Martin’s part of the Berlin-based collective The Polyversal Souls, and is often rubbing shoulders with German multi-platinum selling artist, Xavier Naidoo, having played bass and guitar on several tracks for him.
If that wasn’t enough, Martin’s forever adding strings to his bow by working with Celina Bostic, Mats Heilig, and Weeland and the Urban Soul Collective, in addition to producing commercial music for companies such as Intersport, Daimler-Benz, BASF and Caterpillar.
Fancy seeing Martin live in concert? He has a number of performances throughout May, June and July, for example:
- As bassist for critically acclaimed American singer-songwriter Diane Birch since last year, Martin played on Wednesday 16th May at Bush Hall, London, alongside Janis Goerlich, a drummer from Berlin, Eliyah Reichen, a keyboard player from Switzerland and Sade’s Stuart Matthewman on sax.
- On Friday 19th May Martin jammed with Italian-German indie songwriter Gastone at Nachtleben in Frankfurt. Based in Frankfurt, Martin’s not only a bass player but also a songwriter.
- Sunday 10th June sees Martin perform in Ulm with top session guitar player Patrick Wieland’s Gästeliste, featuring Flo Mega and Andrew Roachford.
- Coming home to Berlin on Sunday 18th June, Martin’s playing with newcomer Alina at PxP Festival, Waldbühne. Freshly signed by Universal Music, Alina is about to release her first album over the course of the next few months. Martin works with her as bass player, as well as co-songwriter.
- On Thursday 29th June you can spot Martin with Flinte playing at Berlin’s Auster-Club. A Berlin-based, singer-songwriter, this gig is a showcase of new songs from her upcoming album.
- On Sunday 9th July, Martin will be on stage at the legendary British Summer Time festival in London’s Hyde Park with Diane Birch.
Think Martin’s the kind of tutor you’re after? Take a look at our BIMM Berlin Bass course here.