Spend any time in the German capital and you’ll soon realise that vinyl culture is woven into its fabric. It’s near impossible to visit every record store in Berlin and give each one the attention it most definitely deserves, so we’ve done the hard work for you. With this in mind, BIMM Berlin lists our top five plattenläden in the city.
- Hard Wax – located in a crumbling factory just behind Kreuzberg’s canal, don’t be fooled by first impressions! Concealed on the third floor of an unassuming courtyard, this elusive tumbledown hideaway is a temple of techno music, as well as standing as a vinyl utopia for those who wish to explore house and dub back catalogues.
- Spacehall – the back room of this record store is every electronic lover’s paradise. For 20+ years, this Kreuzberg gem has been a staple of the Berlin techno scene – and for obvious reasons. It’s best to take your time with this one: trawling through the stacks of club treasures might take an entire weekend.
- Oye – tucked away on Prenzlauer Berg’s leafy Oderberger Straße, this store boasts a mammoth variety of independent labels. Spread across three separate rooms, Oye regularly hosts in-store parties during the week, and recently opened a second smaller store in Kreuzberg. With something to suit every palette, Oye is undeniably worth a visit.
- HHV – if you’re looking for the best in hip hop and house vinyl, this Friedrichshain cavern will have it hiding somewhere. This store boasts hugely knowledgeable and welcoming staff, alongside a refreshingly unpretentious atmosphere, with a remarkable streetwear selection on offer too. Situated just round the corner from BIMM Berlin, don’t miss the additional treat of in-store gigs featuring touring bands.
- Satori Records – this quaint Friedrichshain store stands as a sanctuary for those who wish to escape Berlin’s techno scene. The jazz and blues selection you’ll find here is unparalleled in the city, celebrating styles from bossa nova to dixieland (and everything in between)! Don’t be intimidated if you’re not a jazz aficionado; the friendly owner Werner will guide you through his impressive catalogue.