The wonderful Andrew Garfoot at BIMM Manchester has given us his top interview tips. Interviews are dreaded by all, so to stop this from becoming something you fear we have got some amazing advice to make it all the easier for you!
Sweaty palms, being short of breath, forgetting how to use sentences… Interviews can sometimes be so stressful. You forget all the basics and suddenly can’t remember your own name. But have faith in yourself – if you’ve got this far, you’ve done something right!
We’ve got a few tips and pointers of how to and how not to… for all the different types of interview!
There are many forms of interview:
- one to one
- virtual/phone or video call
These TOP TIPS can refer to all forms of interview, so you won’t be caught out!
Preparation is EVERYTHING:
- Learn your own past! Check through your CV and covering letter to remember the most relevant examples from your past!
- Know the job! Read the description and make sure it makes sense to you!
- Who’s your boss? Know what’s going on in the company, successful projects and any recent developments.
- Link in! Check the LinkedIn profile of your interviewer and make sure you have some information about their background.
First impressions are KEY:
- It’s not fancy dress! Dress appropriately.
- Be rested! Get enough sleep so you’re not yawning in their faces!
- DON’T BE LATE. EVER.
- Cheer up! Smile – be happy to be there.
This links to my next point…
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude will get you a long way. They want to know you will fit in with the team and make a positive impact to the workplace.
- Be passionate. Show them how interested you are in working for the music industry. This will build a connection with the interviewer (hopefully they feel the same as you).
- ‘Passion’ is the feedback we hear the most. Our BIMM students have an air of passion and positivity about working in the industry! Don’t break this trait!
Be a STAR: when giving examples of your experience
- Situation: Where you were?
- Task: What you were asked to do?
- Action: What you actually did?
- Result: What was the end result? What did people think?
We wish you all the luck in the world with any interviews you have coming up soon or in the future.
Remember these steps and you shall prevail!