As a musical city since day one, it’s not surprising that Hamburg embraced vinyl both the first time round, and for its current modern-day resurgence. The city has a huge selection of record shops to choose from, so whatever your musical tastes, there’s plenty of crate digging to be had. Here are BIMM Hamburg’s top five records stores in the city.
- Groove City – proudly listed by CNN.com as one of the ten best record stores in the world for travellers, this eclectic shop in Karoviertel sells vinyl and CDs across genres including soul, funk, hip hop, jazz, psych, latin, afro and more. And it’s super close to BIMM HQ too – what’s not to love?!
- Hanseplatte – improve your knowledge of the Hamburg music scene in one fell swoop with a visit to this store which specialises in Hamburg-based bands, musicians and labels. It focuses mainly on indie and electro, but also stocks wares by local artists, including prints, designer t-shirts, jewellery and more. It’s housed in the same building complex as the BIMM offices, which makes it a very dangerous habit for our staff members!
- Michelle Records – a vinyl institution in the city centre, these guys regularly host in-store gigs by visiting bands in their shop window. They deal in mostly vinyl of the rock, indie, soul, jazz and pop variety, and their special section for Hamburg record labels is definitely worth checking out.
- Zardoz – a huge record store in the Schanzenviertel quarter of the city which has a massive selection of new and old vinyl, and a large collection of new and second hand books too. It tends to cater for an indie crowd – follow the store on Facebook to see a different Album Cover of the Week each week from their collection.
- Smallville Records – also close to BIMM, in the heart of the St. Pauli district of Hamburg, this tiny shop is home to a whole tribe of unbelievable electronic musicians. A record label of the same name is also run out of the store. Specialising in techno, house and minimal, their releases come decorated with a host of hand-drawn illustrations which can also be found across their range of books, CDs, bags and t-shirts.
If you’d like to learn about the musical city of Hamburg first-hand, apply to study at BIMM Hamburg in 2018 by contacting our Admissions Team on +49 303 11 99 186 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org